Friday, November 8, 2013

Korean Soft Tofu Soup - Cooking and calorie counting

So this dish was fairly easy to count the calories in, this is because I know that my partner and I will just split it equally, and it is all cooked in one pot.
Soondubu on my stove at home

I started with two cloves of garlic and about a cup on kimchi - 8 and 0 calories respectively in a stone bowl on my stove, medium heat
I added a whole can of vegetable stock - 30 - I turned the heat up to almost high
While this gets hot, I add about two tablespoons of red pepper powder, some of the stock, and about two teaspoons of fish sauce in a bowl and mix them up, to avoid clumping in the soup - 90, 16
Add this to the whole and this whole bunch of soup continues to heat
I added five frozen clam meats - 180
I also added about five scallions and half an Anaheim pepper - 20, 5
When this is all bubbly you add the soft tofu, the whole package in this case - 300
Then once this is all back up to a boil I added two eggs, this helps thicken the soup, and it's fun once you find the yolk and break it up - 180.

I added up all these calories and divided them in half, since I knew my partner and I would both want two bowls, which comes to half the stone pot each.  This was all we had for dinner. But it's a filling soup, and served really hot, which is nice on a cold rainy Seattle day.

I recommend counting calories in each dish, and then dividing it up before you serve.

For example, the calories in whole batch of mashed potatoes, then divide it into 6 servings, if that looks about right, take one serving. The whole calories in your roasted beets, divided into four servings, then take one serving. The calories in a chicken breast. Then add the three servings that are on your plate to each other. This way you can add up the whole calories, and then divide, while you prepare each dish. This sounds pretty obvious, but until you have done it a few times, trying to count calories while you cook can be tricky. Also, if you know that the whole batch of mashed potatoes has a certain amount of calories, but you eat one cup, you may not know how many calories are in a cup. Which is why I use the divide it up method. More hands on.

I try to write down how much of each ingredient I put in, and then before I clean up the kitchen, I go back and look on all the packages, or on the Internet for how many calories are in things.
That said, if it's a recipe I have never made before, I try to add up the calories in a rough way, so I can picture how much I can have, and whether or not it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment